Bylaws of The Touro Bouligny Security District
ARTICLE I - NAME
This organization is created by Act 77 of the Regular Session of the 2005 Louisiana Legislature and shall be known as the Touro Bouligny Security District hereinafter referred to as the TBSD. The official business address is 4310 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70115.
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
TBSD has been established for the primary object and purpose of promoting and encouraging the security within the Touro Bouligny Security District in the City of New Orleans. (Boundaries: The boundaries of the district shall be that area within and including the following perimeter street and avenues: Louisiana Avenue to St. Charles Avenue (river side only) to Napoleon Avenue (both sides) to Magazine Street (both sides) and back to Louisiana Avenue (excluding all municipal numbers on Louisiana Avenue).
ARTICLE III - COMMISSIONERS AND OFFICERS
1. The TBSD shall be governed by a board of nine Commissioners, each of whom shall have full voting privileges on matters brought before the Board. The nine Commissioners are appointed by the organizations and officials designated in Act 77
Section 2: Terms of Office
1. The president of the Touro Bouligny Association’s term as a member of the TBSD Board shall run concurrent with his/her term as president of the Touro Bouligny Association. All other Commissioners shall be appointed on a rotating, staggered scheduled terms and may serve successive terms. Commissioners shall serve four-year terms after initial terms as such: Two members shall serve an initial term of one year; two shall serve an initial term of two years; two shall serve an initial term of three years; and two shall serve an initial term of four years, as determined by lot at the first meeting of the board. In the event that a Commissioner resigns, or otherwise vacates the office before the end of his or her term, a successor shall be appointed by the organization or official office who appointed the predecessor and such successor Commissioner shall serve the remainder of the unexpired term of office.
2. When a Commissioner’s term has expired, the organization or official that appointed the Commissioner shall have the responsibility to re-appoint the Commissioner. Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, Commissioners shall hold office until their successors are appointed.
1. The Board of Commissioners has the overall responsibility for the policies, management and administration of the affairs of the TBSD. All Commissioners shall be obliged and committed to representing the total interests and needs of TBSD and shall demonstrate an affirmative obligation to the TBSD with respect to meeting attendance and committee participation.
2. Commissioners may hire personnel or contract for services as necessary to administer the affairs of the TBSD
3. Commissioners may obtain and maintain liability and other insurance as appropriate for the TBSD. The TBSD shall contract for and accept the burden of expense of such insurance.
4. If the Board determines that a Commissioner is no longer eligible to serve as a Commissioner, such as by failing to be both a resident and real property owner within the Touro Bouligny neighborhood, or if the Board determines that the Commissioner is not carrying out his responsibilities, the Board may request the organization or official that appointed the Commissioner to appoint another person to complete the remaining term of the removed Commissioner.
Section 4: Officers
1. TBSD officers shall be elected by the Board of Commissioners at the first Board meeting after the beginning of the fiscal year for a term to begin immediately and to end on January 1st of the following year.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, officers shall hold office until their successors are elected.
2. Officers of the Board shall include Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary/Treasurer and any other officers it deems appropriate, to be chosen from among the Commissioners.
3. The duties of the officers shall be:
The Chairman shall preside at meetings of the Board of Commissioners. He or she shall appoint the committees as necessary to manage the affairs and operation of the organization. In addition, the Chairman shall have the responsibility for supervising the activities of all hired or contracted personnel. He or she shall assure that TBSD operates on a balanced budget.
The Vice Chairman shall preside at all TBSD meetings in the absence of the Chairman and shall fill any unexpired term of service in the absence of the Chairman. He or she shall assist the Chairman in his or her duties as stated above.
As Secretary, the Secretary/Treasurer shall assure that minutes of all meetings of the Board of Commissioners are prepared and kept as official records. The Secretary shall assure compliance with the provisions for the open meetings law.
The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for the compiling of appropriate financial statements in accordance with Louisiana Local Government Budget Act R.S. 39:1301 et seq. and in accordance with other applicable state and local statutes. The financial statement shall reflect all revenues collected and disbursements paid by the organization. He or she shall also work to prepare and submit to the Board an annual budget for the operation of the organization and shall assure that TBSD operates on a balanced budget.
In case of the absence or disability of any officer of the Board of Commissioners or for any other reason deemed sufficient by a majority of the Board of Commissioners, the Board of Commissioners may assign any officer’s powers or duties to any other officer or to any Commissioner for the time being.
The Executive Committee shall be comprised of at least three officers of the organization. It shall be empowered to act on behalf of the Board of Commissioners between meetings on specific matters as charged by the Board. A quorum shall be at a majority of the number of officers whether present in person or via a conferencing line.
4. Any officer chosen or appointed by the Board of Commissioners may be removed either with or without cause at any time by the affirmative vote of a majority of the whole Board of Commissioners. If the office of any officer becomes vacant for any reason, the vacancy shall be filled by the affirmative vote of a majority of a quorum of the Board of Commissioners.
5. The Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary/Treasurer and Executive Director may have the authority to sign checks, drafts or orders for payment of money on behalf of the TBSD. In the event that any such check, draft or order for payment of money is less than $1,000.00, any one of them shall have the authority to sign. Any check, draft, or order for payment over $1,0000 requires dual signatories, unless the expenditure has been previously approved by the Board of Commissioners. The Executive Director shall have the authority to enter into contracts of less than $1000.00 on behalf of the TBSD. The Chairman shall have the authority to enter into contracts of less than $5000 on behalf of the TBSD.
ARTICLE IV - MEETINGS AND NOTICES
Section 1.Commissioner Meetings
1. Each year the Board of Commissioners shall meet a minimum of ____4__ times.
2. The presence of five Commissioners or more shall constitute a quorum and all votes shall be by a majority. Commissioners must be present in person or via a conferencing line to vote.
3. Meetings may be called by the Chairman, Vice Chairman or by the request of at least three Commissioners as provided by statute and also provided at least 24 hours prior written notice is given to the Commissioners.
ARTICLE V - FISCAL YEAR
1. Subject to statute, the fiscal year of the TBSD shall begin on the 1st day in January in each year.
ARTICLE VI -AMENDMENTS OF BY LAWS
1. Any proposed amendment to these bylaws may be adopted at a meeting by a majority vote of all Commissioners.